Thursday 6 March 2014

Blog Tour and **Giveaway** ~~ Therapy by Kathryn Perez

Im needy.

m broken.

Cutting breaks through my numbness, but only opens more wounds.

Depression, self-harm, bullying....that's my reality.

Sex and guys....that's my escape.

The space between the truth and lies is blurred leaving me torn, lost and confused. And while the monsters that live in my head try to beat me-- the two men that I love try to save me.

This is my story of friendship, heartache, and the grueling journey that is mental-illness.

Sometimes you have to get lost in order to be found

Married. Thinking about Jace being married to someone else puts a crack in my armor. It hurts; it burns my throat as I try to swallow the acidic thought of it down.

“Well then, in four weeks you should get married. Buy a big fancy house and go to charity dinners with your mother and wife. You can have the white picket fence and everything. It sounds like a perfect happily ever after, Jace. Don’t give it up for some broken girl you slept with once.” I bite out. I’m doing my best to keep it together, but I’m slowly unraveling. I love him; I hate him. I want him to stay; I need him to go. My contradicting thoughts circle my mind like vultures. 

“Jessica, falling in love can’t always be a happily ever after or a once in a lifetime kind of story. Those happen in books, in movies. This is life and it’s real. Life has no script, no outline. We broke the rules of love long ago. All I know for sure is that with you, the rules will never apply.”

Before dejectedly walking out, he stops to look at me once more.

“And you weren’t just a girl I slept with once. You’re a girl I’ve loved—always.” And then he’s gone.

ARC received for an honest review

I usually try (try being the operative word, as it never happens!) to write my reviews while the book is still fresh in my mind.

It has been a few days since I finished reading Therapy, and it has still stuck with me.  It is definitely a hard read and not for the faint hearted, but it is worth every gut wrenching minute of reading.

I connected so much with Jessica, and have so much in common with her (not the slutting around part though!!).  I have suffered depression for the past decade, and yes I was a cutter.  I could completely understand Jessica's statements about cutting to feel.  I have been in that mind set.

The bullying was brutal.  Sickening.  

I loved Jace from the moment he first came to Jessica's "rescue". He has cared for her, loved her for as long as he can remember.  When everyone else was against her, he was her knight in shining armour.  

Loving someone with a mental illness is not easy, believe me.  What you put your family and friends through is horrendous.  No matter what they say or do for you, you don't care.  This shines right through Therapy as Jessica pushes everyone away.

 “They say monsters live under our beds. They’re wrong because our mind is where monsters truly reside.”

Jessica also deals by writing poetry.  It is tragic, but beautiful.  She pours her heart and soul into her writing, and it touches your heart as you read it.

I have to say, I think I spent about 80% of Therapy with tears in my eyes.  The other 20%??
This book should come with a warning and a few boxes of tissues!

You can tell that this book comes straight from the heart of Ms Perez.  The story comes from personal experience, and this is weaved into the story.  So many times we read stories with a mental illness plotline, and it just doesn't feel right, but this is not the case with Therapy.  

In fact at times, it cut a little close to the bone with me, and left my heart in my throat one minute and falling to the floor the next.

If you want a read that will take you on an emotional rollercoaster, give Therapy a go.  You will not be disappointed

When I first finished reading this book, I  rated it as a 4 star read.  However as it has stuck with me for days, I have upped it to 

Author Bio

Kathryn lives in her small hometown in East Texas with her hand and two amazing children. Kathryn is an advocate of suicide prevention, supporter of ant-bullying efforts and does all she can to provide support to organizations who educate and bring awareness to these topics.  With music being her second love to books she claims to be a music infused writer and book junkie who loves to live in a fictional world.